Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The True Measure of Sisterhood...

I have been promising myself and God that I would write this blog...I have been contemplating and mulling over, and giving many excuses to myself of "why not." Who wants to read what I have to say? Do I REALLY have something to say? Is this my TRUE purpose? Do I even know HOW to blog? Will I have to do it EVERYDAY? For the past year now, I have been hearing the small whisper...sisterhood...I have so many incredible women in my life. I have been blessed to know, love and be loved by so many. From Professors to stay-at-home moms, tall, short, thin, thick. Creative, powerful, strong, vibrant BEAUTIFUL women. I hear that whisper again...sisterhood. I hear it in the wee hours of the morning, I hear it in my quiet prayer time. Sisterhood...I know that small still voice, it is the voice of my God, my Savior, My King...he has been whispering that one word to me for the past year. I hesitated to act because I could not see what the path is...I know there is a greater cause and purpose at work, more than just me sitting to a computer to type at 1:13am.

I have waited, watched and prayed. All the while He whispers that word again...sisterhood. Last night He said more:

 TRUE SISTERHOOD is not in the DNA or chemical composition of a woman. TRUE SISTERHOOD is found in the arms that hold you when you feel like a failure, the heart that gives, even when SHE is in need. It can be heard in the voice that calls "just because", or seen in the eyes that shed tears when you,  her sister is in pain. The woman that prays FOR you and WITH you. She who will tell you your stuff stinks and lend you her favorite purse, yet fight to the death anyone who does you wrong THIS IS YOUR SISTER!  I have been truly blessed with both women who share my DNA and the sisters that God hand picked just for me!

My heart breaks because as blessed as I have been, I know the sting of being humiliated by a "mean girl", snubbed by the girl who thought she had everything. Most of the time even as grown women we won't give a compliment to another woman who is looking fabulous! If we do it sounds a little something like "you look nice today". I have often wondered does that mean I look like something the cat dragged in every other day?! Ten years ago I decided along with a dear sister-friend of mine to break that cycle. We made an agreement that if we encounter a woman who is fierce, we would be sure to tell her so. Over the years this practice has brought a lot of joy to a lot of women, but the most wonderful gift I received from doing this has been contentment. I no longer wonder what that woman is thinking about me. Quite honestly it doesn't matter, see I realized that she is not my competition or a threat, she is a flesh and blood human being with the same insecurities and fears as me. Me telling her how awesome she is allows me to be confident in who I am. At the end of the day we were all fearfully and wonderfully made.

I want to challenge you. Begin to give real compliments, "Girl, you are workin' those shoes!" "Hey miss lady, you looking fabulous!"(leave out the today part, it just sounds better).  Now I talk to everyone, even strangers in the mall...maybe you don't feel comfortable enough to do that, no worries...start with your co-workers, or a friend. Shoot look in the mirror and compliment yo'self! The point is let's put an end to the negative talk and start the conversation about love, respect and TRUE SISTERHOOD.

Remember no matter what you are facing, no matter how great or insignificant you may feel. You have a Sister in me, I promise to love you, pray for you, walk this journey with you. No JUDGEMENTS. No FEAR of rejection. NO PROBLEM to hard for our GOD....and so it begins...


-----TBYRD
#SISTERHOOD

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I especially agree on complimenting other women! In a world where it has become acceptable to degrade us in music, videos, movies & T.V., the LAST thing we need to do is be hateful to one another! Excellent read! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete